Thursday, May 6, 2010

Wednesday, April 28

I'm starting our story from the day his deployment ended. These entries are composed from memory, my journal entries, and the notebook I used to log Jay's unusual behavior.


Sleepy Time


I had a very hard time getting Jay to work today. He was so out of it. I dressed him and got him to the car. I had begged him to let me call someone so he didn't have to go in to work but he refused. I reluctantly dropped him off at formation but I waited in the parking lot for 3 1/2 hours just in case he needed me to take him home. I was half afraid that his superiors would call the ambulance to have him admitted. I knew that between his exhaustion and the medication he just needed rest.

Thankfully, our son just slept in the backseat while I waited. I drifted off myself and had I been able to stay awake, I would have noticed that all of the guys had been bussed to a different location. I was sitting in the parking lot waiting on NOBODY. When I finally got the courage to leave and go home I was a nervous wreck until I got the call I was expecting. "Come get your husband. He can't stay awake." Well, duh.

He fell asleep immediately in the car. Somehow I got him into the house. I managed to get him down to his underwear and onto the couch. He slept there until I had to wake him for work the next morning. Not a peep for fourteen hours. He had been so afraid to sleep since he came home and he was in so much turmoil. The sound of him snoring was the most beautiful sound in the whole world. (It would be the last serious block of sleep that he would get before he was admitted)

No comments:

Post a Comment